This cozy one-dish dinner is shepherd’s pie-style but filled with pizza fixings – zesty sauce, hearty beef, green pepper, mushrooms and lots of cheese. It’s topped with a pizza-dough crust, of course, instead of mashed potatoes.
Saucy pizza pie
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives , pitted and sliced
- olive oil
- 1 kg ground beef , or turkey
- 227-g pkg sliced button mushrooms , about 4 cups
- 700-mL jar tomato sauce
- 4 cups grated mozzarella , or shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 283-g can refrigerated Pillsbury pizza crust , or 375 g store-bought pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Prepare onion, pepper and olives. Lightly coat a large wide saucepan with oil and set over medium-high heat. Crumble meat into pan. Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly. Cook until no pink remains, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain off fat and liquid, then place meat in a bowl.
- Add more oil to coat pan. Add mushrooms and stir often until brown around edges, 5 minutes. Add onion, pepper and olives. Stir often until onion starts to soften, 3 minutes. Return meat to pan. Stir in pasta sauce, 3 cups (750 mL) cheese and 2 tsp (10 mL) oregano. Stir often until hot, 3 minutes. Scrape into a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking dish. Smooth surface.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into 10×14-inch (25×35-cm) rectangle. If using store-bought dough, you will occasionally have to pick it up and stretch it into a rectangle as it tends to shrink when rolled. Place over filling. Press edges onto sides of dish. Lightly brush top with oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup (250 mL) cheese and 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano. Bake in centre of oven until golden and filling is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving to allow filling to thicken a little.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 42 g,
- 30.5 g,
- 31.5 g,
- 3.3 g,
- 1296 mg.