Spiced rice fragrant with ginger and fennel and packed with pine nuts and apricots complements this rich roasted duck.
Roast duck with gala stuffing
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 8 servings
- 2 ducks , each about 2.25 kg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds , optional
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 2 1/2-in. piece fresh ginger , peeled and minced, about 1/4 cup
- 213-mL can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt , optional
- freshly ground black pepper
- For even cooking, bring ducks to room temperature before roasting. Clean cavities, saving livers, gizzards and hearts. Pat cavities and outer skin dry with paper towels. Prick skin with a fork so lining of fat will ooze out as it melts.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Have all ingredients chopped, minced and measured out before starting to cook. Finely mince livers, gizzards and hearts and set aside. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds, if using, and immediately stir over medium-high heat. In less than 30 seconds, cumin seeds will begin to darken. Immediately add onions and ginger. Stir-fry until onions turn a little brown, about 3 minutes. Continuing to stir-fry, scatter in minced livers, gizzards and hearts. When they have lost their red colour, add tomato sauce and parsley. Stir in rice.
- Turn heat to low and stir in raisins, apricots and pine nuts. Stir fairly frequently to thoroughly blend ingredients, about 5 minutes. Then remove pan from heat and stir in sugar, lemon juice and cayenne. Taste and then add salt, pepper and a little more sugar and lemon juice, if needed.
- Loosely stuff mixture into ducks. (If there is any left over, reheat in a covered casserole dish during last half-hour of roasting.) Sew openings closed or fasten with skewers. Then place ducks in a roasting pan, breast-side up.
- To brown ducks, roast, uncovered, in 400F (200C) oven for 30 minutes. Drain fat from pan. Then reduce oven temperature to 350F (180C) and continue roasting, uncovered, for another 1-1/2 hours to thoroughly cook ducks. To check if ducks are done, prick skin; juices should run clear yellow and a drumstick should move easily.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 51.6 g,
- 43.4 g,
- 73.6 g,
- 2.8 g,
- 324 mg.