Rhubarb cheesecake tart
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 25 min
This dessert may sound daunting, but it's easy when you start with frozen puff pastry dough.
- 1/2 397-g pkg frozen puff pastry dough , thawed
- 250-g pkg cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb , about 4 stalks, or 300-g pkg frozen rhubarb
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp grated orange zest , optional
- pinches granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp smooth apricot or peach jam
- Position oven rack in lowest part of oven. Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Lightly sprinkle counter with flour. Place puff pastry dough on top. Dust rolling pin with flour. Roll pastry, as best you can, into a circle about 14 to 16 inches (35 to 40 cm) wide. Don’t worry if circle and edge are uneven. Lift puff pastry onto baking sheet. It will overhang edge.
- Place cream cheese in a medium-size bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add egg and beat until fairly smooth. Gradually beat in 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar, then vanilla. If using fresh rhubarb, slice stalks into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. If using frozen rhubarb, rinse under water to remove ice crystals and thaw slightly, then pat dry with paper towels. Place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar, cornstarch and orange peel. Stir to evenly coat. Then gently stir in cheese mixture. Scrape into centre of pastry. Smooth surface but leave about a 3-inch (7.5-cm) edge of pastry uncovered. Fold this edge up over filling, overlapping as needed. It will not cover filling entirely. Gently press pastry down. Brush pastry top with water. Sprinkle with pinches of sugar.
- Place on bottom rack of preheated 400F (200C) oven. Reduce temperature to 375F (190C). Bake until pastry is golden and filling is set when pan is jiggled, 50 to 60 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool slightly. Microwave jam in a small bowl on medium-high until melted, 30 seconds. Stir, then lightly brush over warm filling. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into wedges. Great warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5.2 g,
- 23.6 g,
- 21 g,
- 163 mg.