Laden with golden tofu and satiny noodles, this richly spiced Vietnamese comfort soup brings all the goods: veggies, protein and mouthwatering flavour.
- 900-mL carton vegetable or chicken broth , about 3 1/2 cups
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 thin slice ginger
- 1 star anise , optional
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 350-g pkg extra-firm tofu , or 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced shiitake or button mushrooms
- 1 bundle thin rice vermicelli noodles , about 1-in. thick
- 2 green onions , sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded mint or basil
- handful bean sprouts , optional
- 1 lime
- Pour broth into large saucepan set over high heat. Add cinnamon, ginger, anise, sugar and chili-garlic sauce. Bring to a boil. Then simmer over medium-low until flavourful, 5 to 10 min. Remove and discard cinnamon, anise and ginger.
- Meanwhile, cut tofu into cubes. Remove and discard shiitake stems. Slice mushrooms. Oil a large frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and tofu. Stir often until tofu is golden around edges, 5 min. Add to broth. If using chicken, add now. Bring to a boil, then stir in noodles, separating as you add. Boil gently, stirring often, until noodles are tender, 3 to 5 min. Stir in onions and mint, then ladle into soup bowls. Top with bean sprouts and serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 41 g,
- 6 g,
- 4 g,