Sit back and let the barbecue do all the work–yes, you can relax while grilling a whole pork roast. It’s incredibly easy–occasionally turn the meat and baste with sauce, then throw in the red pepper and sweet pineapple for the last few minutes.
Pacific Rim pork roast with rum-grilled pineapple and red pepper
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 kg boneless pork loin rib end roast , preferably seasoned
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil , or olive oil
- 2 tsp medium curry powder , or 1 to 2 tsp hot curry powder
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp teriyaki sauce , or soy sauce
- 1 pineapple , preferably golden
- 1 to 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tbsp rum , preferably dark (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper
- Lightly oil grill and turn barbecue to high. Close lid and preheat 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly oil a metal or heavy foil pie plate or metal baking pan just large enough to hold roast. Place meat on pan. Do not add salt or pepper. In a small dish, vigorously stir sesame oil with curry, ketchup and teriyaki until curry is evenly blended. Do not place on meat yet.
- When barbecue has heated 10 minutes, turn one side to low. Place pan with meat on side turned to low, positioning pan so thickest part of meat is closest to centre of barbecue. Close lid and barbecue 15 minutes. Turn meat and barbecue another 15 minutes.
- Remove meat from pan and place directly on grill on side turned to low. Close lid and barbecue 10 minutes. Turn meat and baste with sauce all over. Continue roasting with lid closed, from 5 to 10 minutes, for a total of 45 to 50 minutes. Turn meat every 5 minutes to avoid burning sauce. Barbecue until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat reads 155F (70C). Remove meat from grill and let stand, loosely covered, about 10 minutes.
- While meat is barbecuing, cut top off pineapple. Slice off skin, then cut away dark eyes. Slice into 1/2-inch- (1-cm-) thick rings or 1-inch- (2.5-cm-) thick wedges. Cut out and discard sections of core from pineapple pieces. Brush entire surface of pineapple pieces with maple syrup. Then brush with rum, if using. Place pineapple pieces on a plate to carry out to barbecue. Core and seed pepper and cut in half. When meat is almost finished barbecuing, place pineapple pieces on grill wherever they will fit, turning frequently to prevent burning. Grill until just lightly charred and grill marks form on both sides, from 8 to 15 minutes. Place pepper halves on barbecue for last 8 minutes of grilling, turning over halfway through. Pepper can also be grilled ahead of time and served at room temperature.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31.9 g,
- 23.3 g,
- 14.2 g,
- 2.3 g,
- 435 mg.