Instead of overwhelming your budget with a big platter of cheeses, dress up two of your faves (one hard, one soft) with nuts, fruit and a drizzle of balsamic-infused port sauce for a dramatic display.
Modern cheese platter
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings with 1/3 cup (75 mL) sauce
- 1/2 cup port
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- wedges Stilton , brie and cheddar
- 1 cup mixed or smoked nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries , optional
- 6 dried figs , thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch grapes
- crackers , sliced baguette or flatbread
- In a small frying pan, stir port with honey and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium. Stir often until thick and syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes. Sauce will keep well, covered at room temperature, up to 2 days.
- To serve, bring cheeses to room temperature. Toss nuts with cranberries and figs. Place cheeses on a platter or board and nut mixture in a bowl. Snip grapes into small bunches and add to platter with crackers. Drizzle a little sauce over cheeses, then pour remainder into a bowl and serve on the side. Provide plates for guests to place an assortment of nibbles. Don’t forget napkins.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 0.1 g,
- 18.6 g,