Middle Eastern crispy chicken recipe
This zesty, spiced chicken is perfectly paired with a festive pomegranate tabbouleh and a glass of rustic red wine.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup za'atar spice blend
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Lay chicken on a cutting board. Place a piece of wax paper over chicken. Using a rolling pin or mallet, pound until chicken is slightly flattened. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt. Season with pepper.
- Beat egg with 1 tbsp water in a shallow plate. Stir panko with za’atar on a large plate. Dip each chicken breast in egg, then press into panko mixture coating both sides. Transfer to another plate.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil. Add 2 breasts to hot oil and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined platter. Repeat with remaining chicken. Serve with Festive pomegranate tabbouleh.
For homemade za’atar, stir 3 tbsp dried thyme with 3 tbsp sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 2 tsp fresh lemon zest. Makes 1/2 cup.
Suggested side dish
Try it with our festive pomegranate tabbouleh.
“The chicken looked and tasted like an entrée from a trendy restaurant prepared by a chef – but it was me!” – Marji Peglar
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 6 g,
- 17 g,
- 1 g,
- 292 mg.