Maple-rye glazed ham
* PLUS Cooking time: 8 minutes, Roasting Time: 120 minutes
bone-in or 2.5 kg boneless smoked cooked
, or bouillon
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). If ham has rind, slice off and discard. Trim covering fat to 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thickness. Then, using a very sharp knife, score fat in a diamond pattern.
- Place ham in a shallow roasting pan just big enough to hold it. Roast in centre of preheated 325F (160C) oven, uncovered, allowing 18 to 20 minutes per pound (500 g) for a bone-in ham or 15 minutes per pound (500 g) for a boneless ham. For example, an 8-pound (4-kg) bone-in ham needs about 2-1/2 hours or a 5-pound (2.5-kg) boneless ham needs about 1-1/4 hours to warm.
- Meanwhile, stir maple syrup with rye. About 45 minutes before ham is finished roasting, generously brush with maple mixture. To form a rich glaze, continue brushing with mixture every 15 minutes. Save any remaining glaze. Remove ham to a heated platter.
- Skim off any fat from pan juices and discard. Add broth, Dijon and any remaining glaze. Stir pan bottom vigorously to scrape up all browned bits. Pour sauce into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce heat to medium and boil gently, uncovered and stirring often, until slightly reduced, from 5 to 10 more minutes. Pour over sliced ham. Meat will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for a week or more. Ham is wonderful served with scalloped potatoes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27.8 g,
- 5 g,
- 6.1 g,
- 1496 mg.
Put a richly golden glaze onto ham with our flavourful baste, which marries the distinctive flavours of maple and rye whisky.