Macaroni and cheese with roasted butternut squash
This indulgent, triple-tested macaroni and cheese recipe incorporates butternut squash for deeper flavour and a healthy infusion of vitamins.
- 3 cups peeled, finely diced butternut squash , about 400 g
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper , optional
- 1 cup grated white cheddar , preferably aged
- 1 cup grated light mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated gruyère
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Position racks in centre and top third of oven. Preheat to 400F. Toss squash with oil on a baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven until tender, stirring halfway through, 16 to 18 min. Remove to a rack. Preheat broiler to 500F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting salt, until al dente, 7 to 8 min. Drain.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium. Whisk in flour. Mixture will be dry and very lumpy. Gradually whisk in milk, Dijon, salt and cayenne. Stir until mixture comes to a boil, 5 to 7 min. Remove pan from heat and stir in pasta, cheese and squash until just coated. Do not melt cheese. Transfer to an 8-inch- square baking dish or 6 individual ovensafe dishes. Sprinkle panko over pasta.
- Broil until top is golden, 2 to 3 min. Serve macaroni and cheese immediately.
Chatelaine Quickies: Macaroni and cheese with roasted butternut squash
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 41 g,
- 20 g,
- 2 g,
- 454 mg.