If you’ve always thought coleslaw was ho-hum, wait until you try it with sweet apple and crisp fennel. The unexpected flavour combo is completely addictive.
Light and creamy coleslaw
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 unpeeled apples , preferably Granny Smith
- 2 lemons
- 2-Jan napa or 1/4 red cabbage , shredded
- 2 colourful bell peppers , or 1/2 bulb fennel
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt , sour cream
- 1 tbsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Core unpeeled apples, then julienne. Place in a large bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and toss to coat. Thinly shred cabbage with a sharp knife and slice peppers. Add to apples.
- Thinly slice peppers. If using fennel, remove fronds and set aside for garnish. Cut out and discard core. Place cut-side down on a chopping board, then thinly slice. Add to cabbage and apple mixture.
- Squeeze 1/4 cup juice from lemons into a small bowl. Stir in mayonnaise, yogourt, celery seeds and salt. Drizzle over coleslaw and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. If salad becomes watery, simply drain. Before serving, top with fennel fronds if you wish.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 14 g,
- 11 g,
- 2 g,
- 290 mg.