Toss this fresh-tasting broccoli stir-fry with pasta or new potatoes for a low-cal feast. One cup (250 mL) of raw broccoli florets has almost as much vitamin C as a half-cup (125 mL) of orange juice and only 13 calories.
Lemony chicken stir-fry
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cups chicken broth , or bouillon
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon , or 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion , peeled
- 1 small yellow bell pepper , or yellow zucchini
- 500 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts , about 3 breasts
- 2 tbsp vegetable oils
- 1 small head broccoli , about 250 g, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Finely grate 2 teaspoons (10 mL) peel from lemon and squeeze out 3 tablespoons (45 mL) juice. In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon (15 mL) juice and peel with broth, cornstarch, garlic, tarragon, salt and pepper. Cut onion in half, then thinly slice. Cut pepper into thin strips. Slice chicken into bite-size strips. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate these ingredients up to 1 day.
- When ready to stir-fry, heat oil in a large frying pan or wok set over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Increase heat to high and add chicken. Stir-fry until chicken takes on a golden colour, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli and fresh peas, if using. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir broth mixture and pour into pan. Add yellow pepper and frozen peas, if using. Stir until peas are hot, from 2 to 4 more minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice. Taste and add more tarragon, salt, pepper and remaining lemon juice, if needed. Serve over rice or toss with noodles.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26.9 g,
- 9.1 g,
- 3.3 g,
- 465 mg.