If you’re looking for the ease of a hamburger but want something a bit more intriguing, try these koftas – they’re popular street food in Turkey.
Raid the fridge and dress up koftas or your favourite burger with any of these quick toppings.
* store-bought creamy or vinaigrette-style coleslaw
* hot or mild salsa stirred with grated old cheddar
* seeded and chopped tomatoes, cucumber and crumbled feta
* a spoonful of mango chutney and sour cream
* thin slices of pickled beets and a sprinkling of blue cheese
Preheat grilling machine to medium-high. Place koftas on grill. Close lid and grill until meat feels firm to the touch, 3 to 5 minutes. Or position oven rack 3 to 4 inches (7.5 to 10 cm) from broiler. Preheat broiler. Place koftas on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil until meat feels firm to the touch, 10 minutes. You don’t need to turn koftas.