Jamie Oliver's Spanish-Style Griddled Steak
This is just a delicious, simple combination of great steaks, with all their fantastic juices, given a slightly Spanish twist using paprika and grilled chillies and peppers. Lovely served with a nice refreshing dollop of crème fraîche, the meat is also wonderful served just on its own. It's also good inside some pita bread with salad, or with some rice. (This recipe has not been tested by the Chatelaine Test Kitchen.)
- 2 fresh red chilies
- 1 red pepper
- 2 200 g beef sirloin steaks
- seasalt and freshly ground pepper pepper
- a good sprinkling of normal or smoked papkrika
- olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 200 mL tub of crème fraîche
- To prepare your steaks – Put a griddle pan on a high heat and let it get screaming hot. Halve and deseed your chillies and pepper, then cut both pepper halves in two. Season your steaks really well with salt, pepper and paprika. Drizzle with a good lug of olive oil and give the steaks a rub on both sides, making sure they are well coated in the seasoning.
- To cook your steaks – Lay the steaks in your hot pan with the chillies and peppers. Cut the tip off the garlic clove and discard. Your steaks should take 5-8 minutes in total to cook, depending on how you like them – every minute, turn them over, rub the hot, charred side of the meat with the garlic and press down again. Don’t forget to flip your peppers and chillies over too. Remove the steaks from the griddle to a plate to rest for about 5 minutes. Cook the peppers and chillies for another 2 minutes, or until slightly charred, then remove to another plate and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Halve your lemon and squeeze the juice from one half over the steaks.
- To serve your steaks – You can either leave the steaks whole or cut them into strips and serve them with the peppers and chillies piled on top. Lovely with a dollop of crème fraîche. Drizzle with the amazing meat juices, sprinkle with a pinch of paprika and finish with a nice drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and the juice from the other lemon half.