Grilled sausage in pitas with lemon-yogourt sauce
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Grilling Time: 12 minutes, Standing Time: 60 minutes
grape or cherry
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth or a new reusable kitchen cloth, first rinsing cloth with water, then squeezing out excess liquid. Place sieve over a bowl and scrape yogourt on top of cloth. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for at least 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Turn drained yogourt into a small bowl. Grate in 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon peel and squeeze in about 2 tbsp (30 mL) juice. Thinly slice green onion, then stir in with pinches of salt and pepper.
- Oil grill and heat barbecue to medium. Slice pepper into thin strips. Cut onion into thick rings and separate. Leave tomatoes whole.
- Place a large sheet of foil on counter. Combine pepper strips, onion rings and tomatoes in centre of foil. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Cut another large piece of foil and lay overtop. Fold edges over several times to make a sealed pouch. Using a knife, make several shallow diagonal slashes in sausages.
- Place sausages and foil pouch on grill. Close lid and grill until sausages are firm when pressed, about 12 to 18 min. Turn sausages occasionally, but don’t turn foil pouch. Remove sausages and foil pouch from grill. Lightly grill pitas – we used pocketless, Greek-style ones – if you wish.
- Then top pitas with sausages, pepper strips, onion rings and tomatoes. Dollop with lemon-yogourt sauce and sprinkle with fresh basil leaves, if using.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20.6 g,
- 13.8 g,
- 12.4 g,
- 1.9 g,
- 491 mg.
Tastes great with any flavourful sausage – we love spicy lamb.