Golden tofu soup
8 Cups (2 L)
Thanks to a package of pre-cut stir-fry vegetables, there's virtually no prep for this robust and creamy Thai soup.
- 1 leek , or 1 onion
- vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp yellow Thai curry paste
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 900-ml carton chicken or vegetable broth
- 400-ml can coconut milk , preferably regular
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar , or honey
- 350-g pkg tofu , preferably extra-firm
- 340-g pkg fresh or frozen vegetable stir-fry mix , about 4 cups
- Slice and discard dark green top and root end from leek. Then slice in half lengthwise. Fan out and rinse under cold running water to remove any grit, then thinly slice. If using an onion, chop. Lightly oil a large pot. Set over medium. Add leek, curry paste and ginger. Stir continuously until leek begins to soften slightly, about 2 min.
- Pour in broth and coconut milk. Stir in sugar. Bring to a boil over high, about 5 min. Meanwhile, slice tofu into bite-sized cubes. If using fresh stir-fry mix, cut any large vegetables into bite-sized pieces. When broth boils, add tofu and vegetables. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, 5 to 8 min. Taste and add salt, if you like.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 11 g,
- 16 g,
- 2 g,
- 489 mg.