Cozy up with a big bowl when you need something hot and spicy to vanquish a cold night. Similar to hot ‘n’ sour soup, our satisfying version is full of plump shrimp and silky mushrooms.
Ginger-scented shrimp and mushroom soup
6 cups (1.5 L)
* PLUS Cooking time: 7 minutes
- 2 cups sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1-in. piece ginger , peeled
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 340-g pkg frozen peeled uncooked shrimp
- 227-mL can sliced bamboo shoots , drained (optional)
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 green onions , thinly sliced
- Lightly coat a large saucepan with oil and set over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Stir often until lightly browned around edges, 2 to 3 min. Meanwhile, thinly slice ginger. When mushrooms are browned, pour in broth. Stir in ginger, vinegar, soy, sugar and chili-garlic sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil to develop flavour, about 3 min.
- Add shrimp and bamboo shoots. Stir occasionally until shrimp turn pink, 2 to 3 min. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil and onion. Taste and add more chili-garlic sauce and sesame oil, if you wish. Soup will keep well covered and refrigerated overnight. If making ahead to freeze, don’t add shrimp. Defrost and reheat soup, then stir in shrimp.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 4 g,
- 2 g,
- 772 mg.