Visit your local market or butcher and load up on a variety of sausages. They’re absolutely delicious pan-fried with colourful fall apples.
Farmer's market sausages and apples
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- olive oil
- 4 to 6 large sausages , such as savoury farmer's, turkey or Italian sausages
- 3 small onions
- 3 small firm apples , such as McIntosh or Royal Gala
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple jelly or hot pepper jelly
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- Generous pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly coat a large, wide frying pan with oil and set over medium-high heat. Prick sausages in several places, then add. Cook until well browned all over, turning often, 5 to 7 minutes. Add more oil, if needed. Meanwhile, cut onions into wedges. Cut unpeeled apples into thick wedges, discarding cores. Then remove sausages to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan. Stir often until they start to brown, about 2 minutes. Add more oil, if needed. Then add apple wedges. Stir often until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk juice with jelly and Dijon. Jelly will be clumpy. Pour into pan. Sprinkle with basil and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, stir until jelly melts. Return sausages to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and stir occasionally until sausages are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Then if apples are not as tender as you like or sauce is not thick enough, continue simmering, uncovered, stirring occasionally a few more minutes. Taste and add more basil or pepper, if needed. Terrific over wide egg noodles.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10.6 g,
- 23.3 g,
- 16.2 g,
- 1.8 g,
- 517 mg.