Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
1/2 454-g pkg
dry rice noodles
whole star anise
5 large, thick slices
large sweet onion, thickly sliced
light soy sauce
- Cover rice noodles with hot water in a medium bowl. Set aside and soak until ready to use.
- Combine spices in a 6- to 7-quart pressure cooker pot and set over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spices are toasted and fragrant, about 2 min. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add oil, then 2 to 3 beef ribs. Do not crowd pot bottom. Sear until brown, about 1 min per side. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining beef ribs and stewing beef. Add ginger. Cook until brown, about 2 min per side. Transfer to bowl with beef. Add more oil if needed, then onion. Cook until brown, about 1 min. Add water, scraping up any brown bits from pot bottom. Return ginger, beef, spices and any liquid to pot. Cover, and lock pressure cooker lid according to manufacturer’s instructions. Increase heat to high. When steam starts to come out of the vent pipe, reduce heat to medium. Cook for 1 hour. Remove from heat and let pressure drop naturally before unlocking lid.
- Skim off any scum and fat from top of broth. Using tongs, remove beef bones to a plate. Place a sieve on top of a large pot. Drain broth into pot. stir in soy, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and rice noodles. Place on stove-top over medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-sized pieces. Divide noodles, meat and hot broth among 4 serving bowls. Serve with lime wedges, basil, mint, bean sprouts, hoisin and sriracha.