On its own, this crispy tofu recipe with hoisin, chili-garlic sauce makes for a delicious appetizer; add a side of sautéed red peppers and green beans, and you’ve got a great meal. Watch our quick Tofu 101 video and learn about three different types of tofu you can cook with.
Crispy tofu with peanut sauce
Serve with a side of sautéed red peppers and green beans. Or, on its own, this crispy tofu with peanut sauce makes for a delicious appetizer.
- 2 350-g pkgs extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion , sliced
- 1 red bell pepper , sliced into thin strips
- 3 handfuls green beans , trimmed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1 green onion , sliced (optional)
- Pat tofu dry. Cut each block into 4 square steaks.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp oil, then add tofu. Cook in 2 batches if necessary. Cook until tofu is golden, 4 to 5 min per side. Transfer tofu to a serving platter. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil to pan, then onion. Cook 1 min. Add pepper and green beans. Cook until vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 5 min. Add salt and season with pepper.
- Whisk peanut butter with 1/3 cup hot water, hoisin and chili-garlic sauce. Serve tofu with vegetables and sauce. Garnish with green onion.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 17 g,
- 25 g,
- 3 g,
- 245 mg.