Fresh tomatoes for a pasta sauce are a luxury and this is the time to indulge. Add visual punch by using as many tomato varieties and colours as you can find. Simply toss them in a pan with some herbs and a splash of white wine to create your own fresh sauce.
Crazy tomato toss
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 4 servings
- 1/2 450-g pkg spaghetti or linguine pasta
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 2 large red or yellow tomatoes
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves , or sage leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine , or water
- 140-g log creamy goat cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil , or cilantro
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in pasta. Cook until al dente, from 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, core plum and red tomatoes. Cut plum tomatoes into quarters and red tomatoes into eighths. Slice cherry tomatoes in half. Coarsely chop onion and finely mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onion is lightly browned and garlic is fragrant, from 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes along with juices that have collected. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir and scrape up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, just until tomatoes start to break down and release some of their juices, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano. Stir in wine.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tomatoes are quite soft, from 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat. Crumble in goat cheese. Stir in basil. Drain pasta and add to frying pan. Mix well to coat pasta with sauce and goat cheese. Serve immediately. Great with a leafy green salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15.1 g,
- 52.8 g,
- 11.7 g,
- 5 g,
- 856 mg.