Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Lightly oil or spray two 12-cup muffin tins or a 12-cup muffin tin and a 9×5-inch (2-L) loaf pan. Place flour in a large bowl. Using a fork, stir in wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice until evenly mixed.
- In another large bowl, whisk eggs. Then whisk in buttermilk, sugar, oil, molasses and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture. Stir just until mixed. Stir in cranberries and raisins to evenly distribute. Do not over-mix.
- Fill 24 muffin cups right to rims. Or, if making 12 muffins and a loaf, fill muffin cups right to rims first, then turn remaining mixture into pan.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of muffin comes out clean, 25 minutes. Remove from oven. If baking loaf, leave in oven and reduce temperature to 350F (180C). Continue baking loaf until a cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean, 35 to 45 more minutes. If top of loaf browns before it’s done, cover loosely with foil. Cool on a wire rack, 15 minutes, then gently turn out.
- Once muffins and loaf are cooled down to room temperature, they will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days. Or place in an airtight plastic container and freeze. Or wrap separately in plastic wrap or waxed paper, over-wrap with foil and freeze up to 1 month. Or place muffins in freezer just until firm. Pop into a large plastic bag, seal and freeze. This will keep them from sticking together.
Bake up this deliciously wholesome and nutritious batter as two dozen muffins or 12 muffins plus a quick loaf. Or you can freeze part of the batter and bake later.
Freeze, Then Bake
As soon as it is made, spoon uncooked Cranberry-Bran batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling just to rims. Freeze until firm, at least 1 1/2 hours. Then pop frozen dough-filled paper cups into a large plastic bag. Seal and freeze up to 1 month. To bake, place frozen dough-filled cups in a muffin tin to help them hold their shape. Then bake in centre of preheated 375F (190C) oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of muffin comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.