Chocolate brownie muffins
While these look like muffins, they're really more like moist brownie cakes with nuggets of white chocolate tucked away in the centres. Irresistible!
- 56 g white chocolate , about 2 squares
- 168 g semi-sweet chocolate , about 6 squares
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin. Cut white chocolate into 12 small cubes (don’t worry if they break a bit). Finely chop semi-sweet chocolate.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in buttermilk, butter, sugar and vanilla. Place flour in a very large bowl. Using a fork, stir in cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda, making sure no clumps of cocoa remain. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate. Pour in egg mixture and stir just until evenly mixed.
- Spoon 1 heaping tbsp (20 mL) into each muffin cup. Then place a cube of white chocolate into centre of each. Fill with batter to rims.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of muffin comes out clean, except for any melted chocolate, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan to a wire rack. Cool 15 minutes, then turn out. Serve warm or cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once muffins are cooled down to room temperature, they will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days. Or place in an airtight plastic container and freeze. Or wrap separately in plastic wrap or waxed paper, then over-wrap with foil and freeze up to 1 month. Alternatively, place muffins in freezer just until firm, then pop into a large plastic bag. Seal and freeze. This will keep them from sticking together.
Cake and Muffins, Too
This recipe is a cinch to double! Make 24 muffins or 12 muffins and a big cake. Following directions above for adding chocolate, fill 12 muffin cups with batter, then scrape half of remaining batter into a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking pan. Sprinkle with chopped (not cubed) white chocolate. Scrape remaining batter overtop. Smooth top. Bake both in centre of preheated 375F (190C) oven until a cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes for muffins and 40 minutes for cake.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 58 g,
- 15 g,
- 4 g,
- 322 mg.