The Spanish region of Catalonia is famous for its rich hearty stews. In our easy version, tender chunks of beef are smothered in a garlicky tomato-and-black olive sauce.
Catalan beef stew
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- 750-g to 1 kg outside round steak , at least 1 1/2-in. thick
- 1 onion
- 796-mL can diced or whole tomatoes
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers , drained
- 6 large garlic cloves , coarsely chopped, or 2 tbsp bottled chopped garlic
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- chopped fresh parsley , or coriander (optional)
- Trim fat from beef. Slice beef into large cubes. Cut onion into wedges. Place both in bowl of slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes. If using whole tomatoes, break up. Stir in olives, capers, garlic and dried seasonings.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 4 to 5 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low. Add a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley or coriander. Spoon over your favourite noodles or rice. Stew will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27.3 g,
- 10.7 g,
- 14.1 g,
- 2.6 g,
- 1094 mg.