Thank pantry staples for the standout flavours in this speedy steak supper.
Barbecued teriyaki steak with gingery tomatoes
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 strip-loin steaks , about 1-in. thick
- 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- Generous pinches brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 3 small tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion or cilantro
- Generous pinches salt
- Bring steaks to room temperature. Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. In a shallow dish, whisk teriyaki with ginger, garlic powder, chili flakes and a pinch of brown sugar. Add steaks and turn to coat. In a bowl, stir vinegar with 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar, pickled ginger and garlic. Slice tomatoes into thin wedges and add along with cilantro and salt. Stir to coat. If making ahead, marinate steak and tomatoes in the refrigerator up to 1 day.
- Remove steaks from marinade and place on grill. Discard marinade. Barbecue, uncovered, 5 to 6 min per side for medium-rare steaks 1 in. (2.5 cm) thick. Place on a cutting board. Loosely cover with foil and let rest 5 min before thickly slicing. Serve tomatoes alongside.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 53 g,
- 19 g,
- 12 g,
- 3 g,
- 548 mg.