Bacon 'n' egg mac 'n' cheese
8 to 10 servings
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni pasta
- 7 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 250-mL container 10% cream , about 1 cup
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning , or 1 tsp each dried oregano and basil leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 thick slices peameal bacon , or 8 slices cooked regular bacon
- 3 green onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cups grated old cheddar , or 200-g pkg shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Cook macaroni following package directions. Meanwhile, coat a 9×13-inch (3-L) baking dish with oil. Place on a baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Then whisk in milk, cream, Italian seasoning and salt. Chop bacon into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. Thinly slice onions diagonally. Core and seed peppers, then cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. Stir bacon, onions and peppers into egg mixture. Stir in hot drained pasta and half of cheese. Mix well. Pour into baking dish, evenly distributing bacon, onions, peppers and pasta. Loosely cover with foil.
- Bake in centre of 350F (180C) oven 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Then reduce oven temperature to 325F (160C). Remove foil. Stir and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Continue to bake, uncovered, until top is golden and edges are crusty, 1 hour. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- If making ahead, prepare up to point of baking. Cover with plastic wrap. Press wrap so it sits right on liquid. Refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator, remove plastic wrap and place directly in preheated oven. Bake according to recipe, but increase cooking time 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21.4 g,
- 40.7 g,
- 16.5 g,
- 2.4 g,
- 727 mg.