Green onion flatbread
Try this recipe for homemade green onion flatbread. Use them for savoury pancakes, sandwich wraps, pizza dough or as an accompaniment to spreads and dips.
1 -2 tbsp
- Stir 2 tbsp flour with 1/2 cup warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand until cloudy and bubbly, about 5 min. Stir in remaining flour, 1/2 cup more warm water, oil, green onions and salt. Stir until dough starts to come together. Transfer dough to a well-floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth, 2 to 3 min. Lightly spray same bowl with oil and return dough. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let rest for 1 hour. Dough should double in size.
- Divide green-onion dough into 8 portions. Form into balls. Roll each into an 8-in. circle. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp olive oil, then a pancake. Cook until bottom is golden, 1 to 2 min. Flip and cook about 2 more min. Repeat.
- Whole-Wheat: Substitute olive for sesame oil, and omit green onions.Instead of 1 cup of all-purpose flour, use 1 cup whole-wheat flour and 2 tbsp ground flax seeds. Continue with recipe.
- Herb & Garlic: Substitute olive for sesame oil, and omit green onions.Stir in 1 tbsp each of finely chopped fresh oregano, thyme and parsley and 1 tsp garlic powder along with oil and salt. Continue with recipe.
- Cheese: Substitute olive for sesame oil, and omit green onions. Knead 1 cup finely grated cheddar into perfect pizza dough before using.