Wheat-berry, kale and cranberry salad
This colourful salad is so good for you! Rich in fibre and vitamins, this is one sweet salad that's bursting with flavour.
- 1 cup dried wheat berries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups chopped kale , about 1/2 small bunch
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper , diced
- RINSE wheat berries. Combine with 8 cups water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook, covered, until wheat berries are tender, 30 to 35 min. Stir in cranberries during the last 2 min of cooking. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- WHISK oil with vinegar and salt in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Stir in wheat-berry mixture, kale, onion and pepper. Serve immediately. Keeps well, refrigerated, up to 1 day.
Use 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, quinoa or green lentils instead of wheat berries.
Stir in 2 cups cooked and shredded turkey or chicken.
Wheat berries are soft-wheat kernels that can be found in your local health-food store.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 40 g,
- 13 g,
- 6 g,
- 220 mg.