Tofu and black bean burgerBy Chatelaine
This burger is so tasty, we may sneak it on the menu for our next barbecue. Filling, delicious and topped with crisp veggies and aromatic herbs – everyone at the table will enjoy it!
- 1/2 cup canned black beans , rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 350-g block extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 gluten-free hamburger buns , toasted
- mini cucumbers , sliced
- avocados , sliced
- cilantro sprigs
- WHIRL black beans with garlic cloves, egg, oats, ketchup, chipotle chili powder and salt in a food processor until smooth. Scrape into a large bowl.
- PAT dry extra-firm tofu with paper towels. Squeeze gently to drain excess liquid. Crumble into coarse pieces and stir into black bean mixture. Divide mixture into 4 portions. Form into 1-in.-thick patties.
- HEAT canola oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add patties. Cook until golden brown, about 5 min per side. Serve on hamburger buns and top with cucumbers, avocados, and cilantro.
Look for chipotle chili powder in the spice aisle of any supermarket, or substitute regular chili powder.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 44 g,
- 16 g,
- 4 g,
- 812 mg.
- Excellent source of
Veggie bean burger
Pair it with: A beguiling Cape blend.
With a spicy, honeyed nose reminiscent of lemons and quince, this quirky blend delivers a lot of wine for the dollar. Crisp acidity and a sustained mineral finish round out this exceptional-value bottle.
Top pick: Boschendal The Pavillion Chenin Blanc/Viognier, South Africa, $11.