Terrific tuna-melt cakes
This article has not been rated yet.
These are yummy and a bit addictive, even if you're not a big tuna fan. And whether you devour them with forks or fingers, the creamy dipping sauce adds to the fun.
- 2 eggs
- 6 slices white bread
- 2 170-g cans flaked tuna , drained
- 2 roasted red peppers , finely chopped
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapenos , optional
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 2 to 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Cut off bread crusts and discard. Tear or cut bread into small pieces, then stir into eggs. Set aside. Crumble tuna into a large bowl. Prepare peppers, onions, jalapeno and cheese. Stir into tuna. Mash bread mixture to form a paste, then stir into tuna. Fill a 1/4-cup (50-mL) measuring cup with mixture. Using wet hands, form into a small cake about 1/2 in. (1 cm) thick. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, over medium heat. Add half of cakes. Cook, uncovered, until golden and warmed through, 2 to 3 min per side. Repeat with remaining cakes and oil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir sauce ingredients together. Drizzle over cakes or use as a dipping sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 8 g,
- 7 g,