Sneaky 'egg' salad sandwichesBy Chatelaine
These might be the best egg salad sandwiches ever! Serve with crisps and a tangy sparkling wine.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp hot mustard , preferably Colman's
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 350-g pkg extra-firm tofu
- 2 large celery stalks , finely chopped
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 12 slices whole-wheat bread
- 6 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes , each cut into 6 slices
- 2 medium dill pickles , thinly sliced lengthwise
- Stir mayo with mustard and salt in a large bowl.
- Pat tofu dry with paper towels. Coarsely grate tofu with a box grater. Stir into mayo mixture along with celery and green onions. Season with pepper.
- Toast bread. Line 6 slices of bread with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. Top each with a mound of ‘egg’ salad. Sandwich with remaining bread.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 32 g,
- 17 g,
- 5 g,
- 752 mg.
Choosing bubbles is a great option when looking at ingredients like mayonnaise and tofu. A crisp and tangy sparkler lifts the dish without dominating the smooth, subtle flavours. Our pick: Tenuta S. Anna Prosecco, Italy, $19.