Warm healthy potatoes, dressed with hot pepper and yogurt, make for satisfying summer comfort food. Since this salad tastes great warm, there’s no need to make it ahead. Cold leftovers are also delicious.
Sassy warm potato salad
This article has not been rated yet.
5 cups (1.25 L)
* PLUS Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 5 large potatoes , preferably Yukon Gold, about 1 kg
- 2 garlic cloves , or 1 1/2 tsp bottled chopped garlic
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 to 2 hot red peppers , or jalapenos
- 1 cup plain yogurt , preferably fat-free
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Peel potatoes only if you wish, then cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and continue cooking until fork-tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, mince garlic. Coarsely chop onion. Core and seed hot pepper, then finely chop. Place garlic, onion and 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot pepper in a large bowl. Stir in yogurt and salt.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain well. Add warm potatoes to bowl. Gently stir to evenly coat. Coarsely chop coriander, then stir into salad. Taste and add more chopped pepper, if needed. Salad tastes best warm but will keep well, covered and refrigerated, overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5.7 g,
- 35.4 g,
- 0.2 g,
- 2.8 g,
- 731 mg.