Want to detox? Eat more beets and try this roasted maple beet salad
Roasted maple beet salad
This article has not been rated yet.
- 16 small red and/or gold beets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shelled walnuts
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 340 g baby spinach
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- 1/3 cup live cultured yogurt
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt , to taste
- Cut stem off about 1/2 inch from the top of the beet and wash well, but leave skin on to lock in flavour. Coat beets in a small amount of olive oil and maple syrup and place in a shallow baking pan. Put into the oven at 350 degrees. Every 15 minutes give them a stir to coat while roasting for 45 minutes. To check if they are done, insert the tip of a sharp knife into the beet. Remove while still a little crisp in the center. Peel off the skin or if they were organically grown, leave the skin on for maximum nutrition. Quarter each beet and set aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the walnut oil, yogurt and orange juice until well blended. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice, add a pinch of sea salt and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
- Divide the baby spinach between 6 salad plates. Mound a serving of beets in the center of each plate and scatter the garlic stuffed olives and walnuts on top. Whisk the dressing a final time and drizzle about 2 tablespoons over each salad.