Roasted beets and their greens
1 h 20 min
- 2 bunches beets , with green tops attached, about 1.5 kg
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Trim greens from beets. If you have large and small beets, cut large beets in half, then wrap each beet tightly with foil and place on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 60 min. Remove foil packets from oven, leaving baking sheet in oven. Open packets and let beets cool, about 10 min.
- Whisk lemon juice with oil and salt in a large bowl. When beets are cool enough to handle, slip off peel. Cut into thick wedges and toss with lemon dressing. Remove and discard stems, then coarsely chop beet greens. Greens should measure 12 cups.
- Toss with beets and lemon dressing. Place beets and greens back on hot baking sheet. Roast until greens wilt, 5 more min.
To help remove beet stains on fingers, rub hands with the squeezed lemon halves.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 20 g,
- 12 g,
- 5 g,
- 345 mg.