Raspberry charlotteBy Chatelaine
5 hrs 40 min
* PLUS Serves: 6
Fixed with a fetching ribbon, this elegant dessert brings sweetness and style to your dessert table.
- 5 1/4 cups raspberries , divided
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 egg whites , or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups 35% cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 2 tsp powdered gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup Chambord or Triple Sec
- 300-g pkg ladyfingers
- LINE the bottom and sides of a 6-in.-wide, 3-in.-deep cake pan with plastic wrap overhanging the sides.
- WHIRL 3 cups raspberries with 2 tbsp sugar and lemon juice in a food proces- sor until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove seeds. It should measure about 1 cup. Reserve half in a small bowl. Cover remaining raspberry mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- BEAT egg whites in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, until foamy. Gradually add 1 tbsp sugar, beating until glossy, 1 min.
- BEAT cream with remaining 2 tbsp sugar and vanilla in another large bowl, using same electric mixer, until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 min.
- MEASURE boiling water into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin overtop. Stir until fully dissolved, 1 to 2 min. Stir into reserved raspberry mixture until smooth.
- FOLD 1/2 cup whipped cream into raspberry mixture just until no streaks remain. Scrape raspberry mixture into remaining cream, carefully folding just until combined. Fold in egg whites just until no streaks remain.
- STIR water with Chambord in a medium bowl.
- DIP enough ladyfingers in Chambord mixture to line bottom of pan, cutting to fit. Scrape raspberry cream over ladyfingers, smoothing top. Cover with another layer of dipped ladyfingers. Pull overhanging plastic wrap toward the centre to cover the cookies. Lightly press down until even. Refrigerate until mousse is firm, at least 5 hours or overnight.
- UNWRAP overhanging plastic from charlotte. Cover with a serving plate. Turn upside down onto plate, then remove cake pan and plastic. Trim 1/2 in. from 1 end of remaining ladyfingers and arrange, cut-side down, all around charlotte. Tie a nice ribbon around ladyfingers. Fill the top with remaining 2 1/4 cups of fresh raspberries. Serve with refrigerated raspberry coulis.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 55 g,
- 23 g,
- 3 g,
- 114 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin folate