Pepper and mushroom calzone
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 6 minutes, Rising Time: 10 minutes, Baking Time: 10 minutes
© Masterfile Images
, or 500 g pizza dough
, about 125 g
, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
freshly ground black
, or swiss
coarsely chopped black or green
- Prepare dough, letting it rise for 1 hour. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 500 F (250 C). Lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- Prepare filling by heating 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan set over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté, stirring often, for 1 minute or until onion just begins to soften. Add mushrooms, peppers, salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring frequently, until peppers begin to soften and mushrooms have lost most of their moisture, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and olives, if you wish.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 8 pieces. Pat 1 piece into a flattened round. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll into a 6-inch (15-cm) circle. Spread an eighth of the filling on lower half of circle, leaving a 1-inch (2.5-cm) border of plain dough. Brush dough edges with cold water. Fold top half of circle over filling. Firmly press edges of dough together to seal. Crimp edges with a fork.
- Place calzone on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Then, lightly brush calzones with remaining tablespoon of oil. Let dough rise at room temperature, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Then, bake on bottom shelf of oven until puffed and golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Serve right away with a crisp tossed green salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 35 g,
- 9.8 g,
Calzone filled with peppers and luxurious Asiago cheese can be made with our calzone dough or store-bought pizza dough.