This may be one of the most healthful “pizzas” you’ll ever make–and it’s a knockout for brunch.
Open-face pizza omelette
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 1 tbsp butter
- generous pinch dried basil leaves
- generous pinch dried oregano leaves
- crumbled rosemary , or finely chopped fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese , such as Italian-flavoured, mozzarella or cheddar
- Preheat broiler and place oven rack in highest position. In a medium-size bowl, whisk eggs with water, salt and pepper. Thinly slice onions. Slice tomato into thin wedges. If very ripe, discard seeds so they don’t make pizza soggy.
- Over medium-high heat, melt butter in a non-stick frying pan that’s about 12 inches (30 cm) wide, moving butter around pan and making sure it covers bottom and sides. Add egg mixture. Gently stir eggs, moving set eggs to centre of pan, until about a third of eggs are set. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, but leave pan on burner while adding remaining ingredients. Place tomato wedges in a pinwheel fashion on top of eggs. Sprinkle with onions, then herbs and cheese. Place pan under broiler (do not place handle under broiler if it is not heatproof) until cheese starts to brown and eggs are set on top, about 2 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17.1 g,
- 4.3 g,
- 18.6 g,
- 0.8 g,