Nigella Lawson's baby eggplant with oregano and red onionBy Chatelaine
Keep it rustic by baking up these aubergine lovelies with the stalks on. Serve at room temperature with red onion dressing on top.
- 4 baby Italian eggplants , about 700 g
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 small red onion , sliced into thin half moons
- 3 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 1/2 tsp cold water
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves , (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Slice baby eggplants in half lengthwise, keeping the stalks on. Combine olive oil with dried oregano in a very shallow roasting pan. Add the eggplants, cut-side down, and swirl them gently around in the oil, then turn them over so they are cut-side up. Bake in centre of oven until tender and golden, 18 to 20 min.
- Combine onion, vinegar and salt in a medium bowl. Let stand 10 min. Push onion to side of bowl. Tilting the bowl so liquid pools at the bottom, whisk in extra-virgin olive oil, cold water and garlic.
- Transfer eggplants to a platter. Pour onion dressing over eggplant. Let stand until eggplant comes to room temperature, about 30 min. Sprinkle with fresh oregano before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 13 g,
- 16 g,
- 3 g,
- 261 mg.