Moroccan lentil stewBy Chatelaine
Enjoy a taste of Morocco at dinner tonight with a stew that pairs dynamic spices with healthy legumes to create a low-calorie, high-protein meal.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 1 cup red lentils , rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup slivered toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- HEAT a large saucepan over medium-high. Add canola oil, then the onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 min. Add Madras curry paste, red lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender and have absorbed all the liquid, about 30 min.
- ADD diced tomatoes to lentils along with salt. Gently boil, uncovered, until stew reduces slightly, 5 to 10 min. Garnish with slivered almonds and parsley.
Chatelaine Quickies: Moroccan Lentil Stew
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 37 g,
- 11 g,
- 9 g,
- 539 mg.
- Excellent source of
Red lentil curry
Pair it with: A right-on Rhône.
A slam dunk when it comes to earthy Moroccan spicing, this organic blend of grenache blanc, clairette and bourboulenc has a complex profile of orchard blossom, Golden Delicious apple and ripened quince.
Our pick: Chapoutier Belleruche Blanc Côtes-du-Rhône, France, $15.