8 Cups (2 L)
Baby carrots make for a quick-cooking base in this maple-syrup-and-Dijon-spiked starter.
- 900-ml carton chicken broth
- 1 kg bag baby carrots
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard , preferably grainy
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup sour cream , preferably light
- Place broth, carrots, maple syrup, Dijon and thyme in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and gently boil, stirring occasionally, until very tender, about 30 min.
- Ladle half into a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Purée until as smooth as you like. Pour into a large bowl. Then purée remaining soup. Return both batches to pot. Soup is quite thick and you may need to add up to 1 cup (250 mL) water or chicken broth. Reheat until hot.
- When hot, stir in half the sour cream. Taste and add salt, if needed. Ladle soup into bowls, then dollop each with about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of remaining sour cream. If making ahead, prepare steps 1 and 2. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months. When ready to serve, reheat and continue with step 3.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 16 g,
- 2 g,
- 3 g,