Joy of Cooking's Miso-Glazed EggplantBy Chatelaine
This Japanese preparation is one of our favourite ways to cook eggplant. From the 2019 edition of the culinary classic.
- 4 slender Japanese eggplants
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red or white miso
- 2 tbsp mirin , or white wine
- 1 tbsp sake , or water
1. Position a rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
3. Halve eggplants lengthwise. Brush the cut sides liberally with vegetable oil.
4. Roast cut side down on the baking sheet until the eggplant is slightly softened and just beginning to brown around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, mix in a small bowl until smooth: miso, mirin, sake.
6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, turn the eggplant halves over, and brush or spread the miso mixture onto the cut sides. Turn on the broiler, return the sheet to the oven, and cook until well browned and starting to char in spots, about 5 minutes.