Does your barbecue routine need a little zip? Our lightly grilled tomatoes heaped with creamy avocado and feta cheese make a fantastic appetizer or side dish.
Herbed tomatoes with feta and avocado salsa
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- 2 small shallots
- 1 small ripe but firm avocado
- 1 green onion
- 1 to 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3 large firm but ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary , or oregano, or 1 tsp dried rosemary or oregano leaves
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- fresh sprigs rosemary , optional
- Lightly oil grill, then heat barbecue to medium-high. Finely chop shallots. Peel avocado and discard pit. Chop into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. Thinly slice green onion. Place in a small bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon (5 mL) lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) each salt and pepper and cumin. Taste, then add more lime juice, if needed.
- Slice tomatoes into 4 thick rounds. Lightly brush both sides with oil, then sprinkle with rosemary and remaining 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Barbecue tomatoes until grill marks form on both sides, 2 minutes per side. Remove to a large platter. Crumble cheese overtop, then dollop salsa over each. Garnish with rosemary sprigs. Wonderful with grilled chicken or fish.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4.4 g,
- 7.5 g,
- 10.7 g,
- 2.6 g,
- 433 mg.