This is the no-fuss basic stuffing recipe to use year after year for a memorable turkey dinner.
Easy savoury stuffing
12 cups (3 L) cooked stuffing for a 16-lb (8-kg) turkey
* PLUS Cooking time: 10 minutes, Baking Time: 10 minutes
- 675-g loaf sliced white bread
- 2 tsp ground sage , or 1 tbsp packed dried sage leaves
- 1 tsp ground savory , or 2 tsp dried summer savory leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery , including leaves
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Remove crusts from bread, if you wish. Slice bread into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes. You should have about 10 cups (2.5 L). Spread out on 2 large baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven, stirring occasionally and rotating sheets halfway through, until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Place in a large bowl. Add ground seasonings, if using, salt and pepper. If using sage and savory leaves, crumble over bread. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Meanwhile, remove bag containing gizzard, heart and liver from inside of turkey. Finely chop. Remove neck and use for stock or gravy. Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add onion, gizzard, heart and liver. Stir often until onion is soft and turkey bits are cooked, 10 minutes. Add celery during last 5 minutes of cooking. Stir onion mixture into bread mixture. Mix well. Stuff into thawed turkey and roast immediately. Or, if making ahead, cool stuffing completely, then cover and refrigerate. Do not stuff turkey the night before as harmful bacteria may grow. Stuff just before roasting.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4.5 g,
- 16.3 g,
- 5.1 g,
- 228 mg.