This is like no cheesecake you’ve ever made (or tasted) before. Nigella creates a rich and smooth, yet somehow fudgy, cake by adding a few unusual ingredients. Buy good quality dark chocolate for this recipe – it’s worth it. Recipe from Nigella Lawson’s Feast: Food that Celebrates Life (Alfred A. Knopf Canada).
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumb
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 180 g dark chocolate , chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 250-g blocks cream cheese
- 1 tbsp custard powder
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 75 g dark chocolate , chopped
- 1/3 cup 35% cream , can substitute double cream
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- For base, place crumbs in a food processor. Add butter. Pulse until evenly mixed. Turn into a 9-in. (23-cm) springform pan. Press evenly over bottom. Place pan in freezer while making filling. Preheat oven to 350 (180C).
- For filling, place chocolate in a small bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on medium, just until almost melted, stirring halfway through, 1 to 2 min. Remove and stir until smooth. Then set aside to cool slightly. Place sugar in a food processor. Whirl until sugar turns powdery.
- In a small bowl, stir cocoa with 2 tbsp (30 mL) hot water until dissolved. Place cream cheese in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Add sugar and custard powder. Beat until evenly mixed, occasionally scraping down side. Then beat in whole eggs. Add egg yolks, sour cream, chocolate and dissolved cocoa. Beat until smooth and evenly mixed. Remove springform pan from freezer. Snugly wrap bottom and part way up side of pan with heavy foil. Scrape cheesecake batter over crumb crust. Smooth top. Place in a shallow sided roasting or broiler pan. Place in centre of oven, then pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come almost halfway up side of springform pan. Bake in centre of oven until filling is almost set when pan is jiggled, 45 to 55 min. Remove roasting pan to a rack. Let cake cool in water in roasting pan. Then remove from water and discard foil. Refrigerate, loosely covered, in pan 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- For glaze, place chocolate, double cream and corn syrup in a small bowl. Microwave on high until slightly melted, 30 sec. Remove and stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature to cool slightly, 10 min. Then drizzle half over cheesecake. Slice into wedges. Serve extra sauce on the side, if you wish.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9.1 g,
- 31.7 g,
- 37.7 g,