Creamy coconut-infused rice is a great make-ahead dish that goes with everything from a hamburger to barbecued pork. Think of it the next time you’re asked to bring a dish to a picnic.
Chilled coconut rice
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 9 servings
* PLUS Cooking time: 20 minutes, Refrigeration Time: 15 minutes
- 5 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 398-mL can coconut milk , preferably light
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1/2 cup bottled vinaigrette , such as zesty italian
- Thickly slice 2 green onions. Slice garlic in half. Place in a food processor with coriander, mint and parsley. Pulse until finely chopped, scraping down sides as necessary. Scrape mixture into a 4-cup (1-L) measuring cup. Stir in coconut milk. Then add enough water to measure 3-1/2 cups (875 mL).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and sprinkle with salt. Stir until grains are well coated with oil and shiny, about 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Spread rice out on a large baking sheet with shallow sides. Refrigerate, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until cold, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining green onions. Peel peaches, if you wish. Slice in half and remove pits. Chop peaches. Seed pepper. Chop into same size as peaches. Slice unpeeled cucumber lengthwise into quarters, then remove seeds. Cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes. Place cold rice in a large bowl. Gently stir in onions, peaches, pepper and cucumber, then vinaigrette. Taste and add more salt, if needed. Serve with Barely Jerked BBQ Pork (also in the Recipe File). Salad will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days, but fruit may darken. If making far ahead, add peaches and cucumber just before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.4 g,
- 32.2 g,
- 8.6 g,
- 1.6 g,
- 612 mg.