Kitchen tip: Bundle the hearty carrot stems you’d normally throw with butcher’s twine and freeze. Add to onions when cooking your next batch of soup. Remove and discard before serving, as they can be tough to chew.
Carrot slawBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
Carrot tops are too delicious to throw away.
- 2 bunches carrots , with tops
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- Whisk ingredients for dressing in a large bowl until smooth.
- Cut off carrot tops, then wash and dry well. Finely chop leaves and tender stems. Set heartier stems aside. (The leaves and tops should measure about 2 cups.) Stir into dressing.
- Julienne carrots, then stir into bowl with dressing. Refrigerate for at least 1 hr. Stir in walnuts before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 16 g,
- 23 g,
- 4 g,
- 219 mg.