Whole-wheat mac and cheese
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 10 minutes, Broiling Time: 4 minutes, Standing Time: 5 minutes
whole-wheat elbow macaroni or fusilli
, cut into cubes
- For topping, trim crusts from bread and lightly toast. Tear into large pieces and pulse in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Then add butter and pulse to mix. Or crumble toast with your fingers and stir in butter. Add chives and 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheddar. Pulse once or stir to mix.
- Cut pumpkin into quarters. (Microwaving on high 2 min makes this easier.) Scoop out stringy pulp and seeds, then discard. Peel. Cut pumpkin into small chunks. You should have about 4 cups (1 L). Place in a large saucepan. Add broth, 1 can of water and nutmeg. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until pumpkin is very tender, 10 to 15 min.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Place rack in top third of oven and preheat broiler. Remove half of the pumpkin to a bowl. Using a potato masher, mash remaining pumpkin with broth until fairly smooth. Add cream cheese. Continue mashing until almost melted. Stir in cream, Dijon and salt. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 2?1/2 cups (625 mL) cheddar until melted. Stir in pumpkin pieces.
- Drain cooked pasta and place in a bowl. Stir in pumpkin mixture. Spread evenly in a 9×13-in. (3-L) baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with crumb mixture. Broil in top third of oven until crust is golden, 4 to 5 min. Let stand 5 min before serving. Lovely served with a tomato salad.
Chatelaine Quickies: Macaroni and cheese with roasted butternut squash
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 59 g,
- 38 g,
- 8 g,
- 1033 mg.
Don’t let the whole-wheat pasta and pumpkin fool you: This mac and cheese is indulgent and luxurious.