I love how easy this soup is to prepare. Chervil is a delicate herb, which accents the soup beautifully, but it’s not always available in grocery stores. If you can’t find it, try mint, basil or coriander instead.
Sweet-pepper soup with chervil cream
This article has not been rated yet.
6 cups (1.5 L), 6 servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 stalk celery , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 4 large red bell peppers , seeded and chopped
- 1 Yukon Gold potato , peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme , or 1/2 tsp dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chervil
- In a medium-size saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and celery over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and peppers and continue to sauté until peppers are just softened, from 7 to 8 minutes. Add potato, wine, broth and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potato is very tender, from 15 to 20 minutes. Purée soup with a hand blender or in a food processor. Strain through a medium sieve into a clean saucepan. Reheat over low heat, adding salt and pepper as needed.
- Meanwhile, stir sour cream with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) chervil. Taste and stir in remaining tablespoon of chervil, if you like. To serve, ladle soup into cups and top with a dollop of sour cream mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5.6 g,
- 15.1 g,
- 6.1 g,
- 2.3 g,
- 728 mg.