While most of the country knew Chatelaine editor Rona Maynard’s mother as Fredelle Maynard, author of the beloved Raisins and Almonds, her friends and family knew her as a good cook too! Here’s a family favorite.
Sweet and sour meatballs
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 large onions , or 1 Spanish onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 540-mL can tomatoes
- 284-mL can undiluted tomato soups
- 2 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
- 500 g ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked (not instant) rice
- 1 to 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Finely chop onions. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Stirring frequently, sauté until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Measure out 1/2 cup onions and set aside to be added to meatballs. Add entire contents of can of tomatoes and undiluted soup to remaining onions. Stir in jam and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower heat and simmer gently, covered, about 25 minutes.
- To make meatballs, beat eggs in a medium-size bowl. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup cooked onions, beef and rice. Mix well. Dampen your hands. Form about 1 level tablespoon of mixture into meatballs about 1 inch (2.5 cm) across. You should have about 36 meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add half the meatballs. Sauté until browned, about 5 minutes, carefully turning when necessary. Remove partially cooked meatballs and place in a 9×13-inch (3-L) pan. Repeat with remaining meatballs. When all meatballs are browned, pour simmering sauce overtop.
- Bake, uncovered, in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven, gently stirring every 15 minutes, until sauce is very thick and meatballs are glazed, about 55 to 60 minutes. Serve hot as an appetizer. Meatballs can be made ahead and reheated in oven. Covered and refrigerated, meatballs keep well for up to 3 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.3 g,
- 5.8 g,
- 3 g,