Spicy coconut chicken
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1 small sugar pumpkin , about 1 kg
- 1 large jalapeno
- 400-mL can coconut milk
- 8 to 10 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 1 large tomato , sliced into wedges
- 227-mL can sliced bamboo shoots , well drained
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut pumpkin into quarters. (Microwaving on high 2 min makes this easier.) Scoop out stringy pulp and seeds, then discard. Peel, then chop pumpkin into bite-size chunks. If you like it spicy, leave seeds in jalapeno. If not, discard them. Mince jalapeno.
- Pour coconut milk into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Whisk, then add pumpkin and jalapeno. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir into milk along with remaining ingredients except cilantro. Once boiling, reduce to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered and stirring often, until chicken is cooked through and pumpkin is fork-tender, 15 to 18 min. Stir in cilantro. Delightful over jasmine rice.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 18 g,
- 27 g,
- 4 g,
- 692 mg.