Chunky squash and fiery chipotle pepper turn a can of soup into a rich Tex-Mex stew.
Spicy Black Bean and Squash Soup
- 540-mL can black bean soup
- 1 cup chopped squash , or 1 chopped yellow pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 to 1 small chipotle in adobo sauce
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- Pour soup into a large saucepan and set over high heat. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) water, squash, cumin seeds and half of chipotle. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, 10 to 15 min. Taste, and if you want it hotter, add more chipotle. Spoon into bowls or large mugs and add a little sour cream to each. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 20 g,
- 1 g,
- 4 g,
- 478 mg.